OASES – prOmoting evidence-bASed rEformS on medical deserts
01/03/2021 – 29/02/2024
About the project
The term of “medical desert” is commonly used in the medical field referring to several situations or areas where people have difficulties to access care (e.g. waiting time, doctor’s registration difficulties or long distances to hospital). The identification of such areas became a major issue and is exacerbated by the fact that the accessibility itself is complex to address due to its multidimensional nature (spatial, physical, temporal, financial, and cultural).
OASES project aims to represent a source of knowledge in European medical deserts, reinforcing the capacity of health authorities of EU Member States to reform their health systems and address all the important aspects to successfully tackle the challenges that the medical desert is posing, with specific regard to actions focusing on skill mix, task shifting, use of e-health and IT systems, recruitment and retention management and policies, in order to guarantee universal coverage also in rural and underserved areas.
To achieve this, the projects presents and supports the application of a stepwise methodology focused on
- definition of a measurement methodology and tool applicable in different contexts (minimal, intermediate, advanced dataset);
- implementation of the measurement methods and tools in selected pilot sites of 7 European countries;
- assessment, policy actions analysis and sustainability in each pilot site,
- impact evaluation in each pilot site and updating the measurement methods and tools according to the pilot results;
- scaling up of the methods and of the policy actions at EU level.
Consortium leader: AGENAS – Agenzia nazionale per i servizi sanitari regionali, Italy
Role of HSMTC: Consortium member, Work Package Leader in Dissemination and Communication
- International Network for Health Workforce Education (INHWE), Cyprus
- EHESP – Ecole des hautes études en santé publique, France
- Babeș-Bolyai University, Romania
- THL – Terveyden ja hyvinvoinnin laitos, Finland
- IRDES – Institute Research And Documentation In Economy De La Santé, France
- National Agency for Public Health, Republic of Moldova
Name: Marta Sziklai
Phone: +36 1 488 7613
For further information please visit this website: oasesproject.eu