Number of vaccines administered at Semmelweis University - 20 June 2021
310685 Total vaccines


Where can I find the Division of the English Language Programs?

EOK (Basic Medical Science Center) 37-47 Tűzoltó utca, 1st Floor, room 1.604 a.

What are the opening hours of the Division of the English Language Programs?












How do I get my class schedule for the next term?

You can check your schedule in your Neptun under Studies/Class schedule after subject registration.

How do I get a Student card?

Read detailed information for the students of all faculties – Student Card Request (pdf)



What is the Aptitude Test?

Any person contributing to healthcare services while on student status has to attend an Aptitude Test. You will only be able to pursue healthcare related professional activities if you have a valid aptitude certificate. The Aptitude Test is a prerequisite to start the Summer Practice, start Gynecology or Pediatrics and attend the terminal board exam. You need to do some blood tests, chest X-ray and fill out some documents. The Aptitude Test is completed when the Health Record Booklet is filled out by the Occupational Health Service or your family doctor.

Where can I do the Aptitude Test?

You are allowed to do the tests abroad (i.e., out of Hungary) or at the Polyclinics of Semmelweis University.

What kind of tests are required?

  • Complete blood test:
      • Blood sedimentation rate
      • Complete blood count
      • Glucose
      • Cholesterol
      • HDL cholesterol
      • LDL cholesterol
      • Triglycerides
      • Total bilirubin
      • Uric acid
      • Creatinine
      • Urea
      • GOT
      • GPT
      • GGT
      • LDH
      • Sodium
      • Potassium
      • Iron
      • Transferrin
  • Hepatitis B and C antibody titer.
  • Fresh urine and sediment test.
  • Chest X-ray.
  • Stool bacteriology:
    Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia, Campilobacter.
    PCR – enteropathogen E. coli strains (molecular evaluation of pathogeny markers).
  • VDRL (Lures serology) – Serology for Treponema pallidum.

Do not forget to fill out the necessary documents and present the results at the Occupational Health Service or to your family doctor who fills out the Health Record Booklet. Please ask your registrar to send you a copy of the Health Record Booklet if you intend to have it filled out by your family doctor.

How much do students need to pay for a medical check-up at the Polyclinics of Semmelweis University?

It is free of charge.

How can I get an appointment for the medical check-ups and to the Occupational Health Service?

You can sign up at the following link:

How can I check the registration of my appointment?

You will receive a confirmation e-mail after your booking.

What kind of medical check-ups will I need to complete for the Aptitude Test?

If you are at the Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences or in the first 4 years at the Faculty of Medicine:

  • Complete blood test + Urine test
  • Hepatitis B and C antibody titer
  • Chest X-ray

If you are in the 5th or 6th year at the Faculty of Medicine:

  • Complete blood test + Urine test
  • Hepatitis B and C antibody titer
  • Stool bacteriology (including enteropathogen E. coli)
  • VDRL (Lures serology) Serology for Treponema pallidum
  • Chest X-ray

How often do I need to be tested for Hepatitis B and C antibody titer?

The test should be repeated every two years.

What should I do if I have never got a Hepatitis B or C vaccination?

Please contact the Health Insurance Call Center for more details. Testing and vaccination are subject to a fee.

Where can I take the laboratory tests?

2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1082 Budapest, Üllői út 78/A.
Please visit them at 08.00 am.

St. Rókus Hospital, 1085 Budapest, Gyulai Pál utca 2-4.
Please visit them at 9.00 am.

Please keep in mind that the location of your tests depends on your booking.

Where can I take the chest X-ray?

Radiology, 1082 Budapest, Korányi Sándor utca 2.
(Main entrance from the 2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology)

Where can I find the Occupational Health Service?

Before visiting them please make an appointment at:

Address: 1085 Budapest, Stáhly utca 9., 3rd floor, room 310 – St. Rókus Clinical Building.

How can I access my results?

By default, laboratory and X-ray results are accessible by the Occupational Health Services within a week of your medical examinations. If you wish to receive a printed version of your results for any other purpose, you can request them in person from the laboratory and/or from the radiology a week after your medical examinations.

What kind of documents do I have to fill out for the Aptitude Test?

Please download the relevant documents at:

All Faculties

Medical Check-up documents:

  • Medical history questionnaire
  • Statement on health
  • GP’s statement – your GP has to fill it out & stamp it or call the Insurance Company for help
  • Work Health and Safety Policy

What should I do if I am done with the laboratory tests and chest X-ray?

The aptitude test is completed when the Health Record Booklet is filled out by the Occupational Health Service or your family doctor.

Where can I get the Health Record Booklet?

At the Occupational Health Service. In case your booklet will be filled out by your family doctor, please request an English version of it by e-mail from your registrar.

How long are the medical examinations and the Health Record Booklet valid?

To fill out the Health Record Booklet:

  • Blood tests cannot be older than 3 months;
  • Chest X-ray cannot be older than 1 year;
  • VDRL cannot be older than 1 month;
  • Stool bacteriology must be done maximum 1 month before the clinical practice starts.

The Health Record Booklet is valid for 1 year.

Who is responsible for the Aptitude Test?

The registrar for academic enquiries of your year. Please refer to the link below if you are unsure.


How can I cancel or change my appointment?

Appointments cannot be rescheduled but they can be canceled. If you are unable to attend a fixed appointment, please cancel it first, and then make a new booking. You can find the appointment cancellation link in the confirmation e-mail.



How do I calculate my average?

Study average means the weighted average, which is a way to measure a student’s academic success in school. The weighted average is calculated from the grades and the credit points belonging to each subject. For each completed course for the previous semester, the number of credit points must be multiplied with the grade received. All subjects are added up and then this amount is divided by the total number of credits collected in the semester.

Example for one semester:


Basics of Biostatistics and Informatics:

Hungarian Medical Terminology I.:

Basics of Medical Physics:

Medical Chemistry:

Basics of Medical Chemistry:

Medical Terminology:

Physical Education I.

grade of 3 for 9 credits

grade of 4 for 3 credits

grade of 5 for 4 credits

grade of 5 for 3 credits

grade of 4 for 6 credits

grade of 5 for 3 credits

grade of 5 for 2 credits

= 27

 = 12

= 20

= 15

= 24

= 15

= 10


∑: 27 + 12 + 20 + 15 + 24 + 15 + 10 = 123

Number of credits earned in the semester: 30
Weighted average from the first semester: 123/ 30 = 4.1

What is the difference between weighted average and cumulative weighted average?

The weighted average and cumulative weighted average are based on grades given for each course taken and the number of credit hours specified for those courses over the specified period of time (one term for weighted average; more or all terms for cumulative weighted average). The difference between the two is that weighted average is calculated for one semester of the year and cumulative weighted average is based on two or more semesters of the individual.



How many credits do I need to graduate?

General Medicine

360 credits


300 credits


300 credits


How many credits do I have to earn per semester?

Please see your semester curriculum in the Calendar. The amount of the required credits are set out by each semester’s curriculum under the curriculum schedule.


Training and Examination Regulations Section 26. The certificate of degree (Diploma)
The diploma, the certificate.
1. The credit value of subjects accomplished in other institutions of higher education and recognized by the University in a credit transfer procedure shall not exceed two-thirds of the credits required for the award of the diploma as defined by the qualification requirements.



What if I can’t attend an exam or class at the time scheduled?

Students are required by university regulations to present written justification stating the reasons of their absence.  Upon returning to school after an absence, students should report to the department’s office and present a doctor’s note, if their absence was caused by medical reasons. Excuses not provided within 3 days after the missed exam or class will result in the absence being marked as an unexcused absence.

It should be noted that the student will be recorded absent even if s/he is absent for a valid reason such as sickness. In the case of absence with a valid reason, an official document that proves the reason of absence should be provided. The department has the right to reject any document of questionable credibility. If you are sick and cannot take the exam or class, you should telephone your tutor immediately and leave a message for the department office even if this is not the first day of your absence.

Do I have to pay a fine if in case of my absence from an exam remains uncertified?

Yes. Please see „Extra curricular fees” in the Calendar

How do I pay my missed exam fees online?

Go to Finances/ Payment
Transcribe item
Payment titles: Service
Service type: Missed exam fee (4000 HUF)

If you choose to pay by check please visit the Foreign Students’ Secretariat to collect your check. The check must be paid at the post office.

Do I have to pay for exams?

Students have to pay for their second and third retake exam (3rd and 4th exam) for a given subject. Please see „Extra curricular fees” in the Calendar

How do I order a check for my 3rd or 4th exam in a given subject?

First, please read the section titled “Extra curricular fees” in the Calendar, where you’ll find the different extracurricular fees. Log on to your Neptun account, go to „Finances”, choose „Payment”, then „Transcribe item”. Choose „Retake exam”, choose „Semester” then the relevant subject from the list and finally click on „Create item”.

You can choose to pay your retake exam fees online via the Neptun system or by check. To pay online you will have to select ’Payment by credit card’ from the two payment options offered to you.

If you choose to pay by check please visit the Foreign Students’ Secretariat to collect your check. The check must be paid at the post office, the check stub is to be presented on site prior to the exam. 



Should I go directly to the department when applying for an exemption?

Yes, except in case of Physical Education, summer practices and First Aid. Physical education medical certificates and certificates/degree proving the completion of summer practices/first aid course must be submitted to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat by registration to both semesters each year. For a physical education exemption you must also submit a letter of request describing your problem in a few words and apply for a permission to be exempted from the subject. The request letter must be addressed to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat.

For other subjects you must first get a blank exemption form from the Foreign Students’ Secretariat. Then, you must show the form and certificate of your previous studies to the competent department, which will be reviewed before granting an exemption from the subject. You need to get your exemption form signed and stamped at the department.

Important: the teacher must indicate the grade for the subject on the form. After having the form completed and stamped, you have to return it to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat for processing. If everything is OK with the form, your registrar will enter the given grade into the Neptun system and indicate it in your grade book. If you successfully complete the above, you have no further obligations regarding that particular subject.

Approved exemptions must be submitted to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat by the start of the semester!

Can I be exempt from Physical Education if I have a gym membership?

No. You will not be exempt because of your gym membership so please do not apply for an exemption on these grounds.

What is the process of submitting a doctor’s note for Physical Education exemption?

If you are requesting an exemption from physical education due to medical complications that inhibit you from partaking in physical activity for an indefinite time; you then must submit evidence to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat in Hungarian or in English language from a licensed health care practitioner that documents a diagnosis of a temporary physical or mental disability. 



What do the so-called CV and FM exams mean?

CV and FM are abbreviations. CV stands for the Hungarian term „Csak Vizsga”, meaning „Exam only”. The term indicates that the student has already received the signature for taking the course, that is, fulfilled the semester requirements and only the exam is missing, which can be taken in the following semester.

FM stands for the Hungarian term „Felmentett”, meaning „Exempt”. This term also indicates that the subject requirements have been fulfilled and student only needs to take the exam.  The student is not obliged to take the course again, however since the subject is offered again, he/she can decide to do so. (Should the student decide to attend the course again, even though he/she has already fulfilled the requirements, the same rules shall apply to him/her as to those attending the class for the first time (Absence, attendance at classes, etc.))

Do I have to fail a course at least once in order to be allowed to take the CV course in the next term?

No. You can roll over all 3 exam opportunities to the following semester and take them as a CV course.

How many retake opportunities do I have in a semester and in an academic year?

There are 3 exam opportunities in each subject per semester (1 exam, and 2 retakes) when the subject is offered as a normal or FM course. In the following semester – when the subject is offered as a CV course – only the remaining chances left from the previous semester can be used. There is a special 4th try once a year (the 3rd retake), which may be used exclusively in 1 chosen subject. After using this 4th exam opportunity in one subject, the student shall not have a 4th try in any other subjects; they also will not be granted “special permission” for a 5th opportunity. Please count your remaining exam opportunities carefully!

For example, if you use 2 exam opportunities for Biophysics II in the 2nd semester, you will have only one remaining opportunity for the retake in the following semester (plus the one extra (4th) chance, if you haven’t used it already in that specific academic year in another subject).



What do I need to do if I am planning to take a leave of absence?

If you take a semester off you will need to email your registrar and register for a ’passive’ semester via the Neptun system during the registration period for the next semester. 

For details, please see the Neptun manual/ Registration in the beginning of the Calendar.

What do I need to do if I am returning from a leave of absence?

Contact your registrar for procedures regarding returning from an official leave of absence and check your Neptun account on a regular basis. Make sure your tuition fee is paid by the relevant deadline.



What is a prerequisite?

Prerequisites are courses that must be taken before another course. For example, Medical Chemistry is a prerequisite for Medical Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology I.

Students must successfully complete Medical Chemistry before registering for Medical Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology I. Please note that prerequisites are clearly listed in the curriculum.

What is a corequisite?

Corequisistes are courses that must be taken at the same time as normal courses. Registration for corequisites must be done prior to registration for normal courses in the given term. Corequisites are marked with a star symbol in the Calendar of each semester’s curriculum affected (e.g. 3rd and 4th year).



How can I apply for the approval of the place of the summer practice?

1. Summer practice at an Institution/Clinic of Semmelweis University

No approval or certificate on completition is needed in this case. The completition is recorded in the Neptun system by the host Institution/Clinic. To organize your practice and ensure that you will be accepted you should contact the relevant Institution/Clininc and speak with your tutor.
Please note: some Semmelweis departments require that you do a special registration via Neptun for their summer practice. About details and departmental regulations, please consult your tutor.

2. Summer practice at an Institution/Clinic outside of Semmelweis University

Approval of such summer practice is needed beforehand, and a certificate on completition must be submitted at registration to the next term. Please contact your registrar for details with specifices.

When and how do I have to submit the certification on my completed summer practice?

Certificates on a complteted summer practice outside Semmelweis University should be submitted to the English Secretariat at the registration to the next term.
Please note: students are not allowed to proceed to the next year unless the form of completion is submitted to the English Secretariat at registration.

Please use the downloadable forms at each Faculty.

Compulsary summer practices by Faculties:


General Medicine




Summer Nursing Practice*

(1 month)

(*after 1st or 2nd year)

Summer Dental Assistance Practice

(2 weeks)

Summer Dental Laboratory Practice

(2 weeks)


Summer Practice I.

(4 weeks)


Summer Internal Medicine Practice

(1 month)

Summer Dento-Alveolar Practice

(1 week)

Summer Practice II.

(4 weeks)


Summer Surgery Practice

(1 month)

Summer General Dentistry Practice

(4 weeks)




What is a transcript? How do I request my transcript?

The transcript is an official statement of all results achieved through study at Semmelweis University as of the date of printing. You cannot have a transcript until all grades are posted in the Neptun student information system by the departments and your grade book is submitted to the Foreign Students’ Secretariat with all results. It is the department’s responsibility to upload the exam results to the Neptun system.

Transcript requests must be made in writing. To make your request, you may stop by the Foreign Students’ Secretariat or send it via e-mail. You can indicate in your request if you would like us to forward the transcript to your email address. Processing of transcript requests takes approximately 5 business days. However, during certain times of the year there will be a slight delay, 2-3 days, due to the heavy volume of requests. The fee for the transcript must be paid for prior to the issuance of the transcript(s). Please be sure to allow sufficient processing time for your request.

Please note: the university may discontinue or suspend this service at any time without notice if the fee for the transcript is not paid.



How much is the tuition fee per semester?

The tuition fee is determined by the year of enrollment to the Program. Students who complete their studies continually (without failing a year) pay the same tuition fee every year (see the table below). Students who repeat a year due to failure or a passive semester, and students transferred from another university have to pay the tuition fee according to the year of enrollment at the course they are joining. Eg. a student enrolled in 2015/2016 academic year and failed a semester has to pay the tuition fee of those enrolled in 2016/2017.

year of enrollment/


General Medicine


Pharmaceutical Sciences


6 100 USD

5 400 USD

5 400 USD


6 100 USD

5 400 USD

5 400 USD


6 100 USD

6 600 USD

5 400 USD


7 200 USD

8 000 USD

5 800 USD


8 000 USD

8 000 USD

6 000 USD


8 200 USD

8 200 USD

6 000 USD


8 500 USD

8 500 USD

6 000 USD


8 750 USD

8 750 USD

6 000 USD


8 750 USD

8 750 USD

6 000 USD


8 950 USD

8 950 USD

6 000 USD


9 100 USD

9 100 USD

6 000 USD


9 100 USD

9 100 USD

6 000 USD


9 100 USD

9 100 USD

6 000 USD


9 100 USD

9 100 USD

6 000 USD


9 100 USD

9 100 USD

6 000 USD


Students taking just one normal, exempted “FM” or one exam course “CV” in a semester pay ~50% of their semester tuition fee.
Please note: The permission can be granted upon the student’s written request that has to be handed in at the Directorate of International Studies, Division of the English Language Programs before starting the semester!

When is my tuition fee due?

Fall semesters: 31st of August
Spring semesters: 31st of January

The current deadlines of payment are announced by the registrars before the beginning of every semester.

Rules regarding tuition fee payment and penalty.

  • Students have one month (counted from the first day of the semester) for paying the tuition fee of the given semester without penalty. (Please note that students cannot get a student certificate, a valid insurance or validation of their student card until their tuition fee is completely settled.)

  • After the semester’s first month has passed, the tuition fee can be paid with a default penalty of 500 USD.

  • The latest deadline for paying the tuition fee and penalty is the last day of the study period. (Please note that students cannot register for any exam until their tuition fee plus penalty are completely settled.)

  • If the above final deadline is missed, i.e. the tuition fee plus penalty are not settled by the end of the study period, the tuition fee for the current semester can no longer be paid, student’s status will remain active, but every signature acquired and every grade earned by the student during the semester will be deleted. The student’s status remains active means that the debt remains to be made up before the registration to any other active semesters. The status cannot be changed to passive after the end of the teaching term, and the tuition fee of an active semester cannot be remitted.

  • The student is unable to register for a new active semester until the debt has been settled in full.

Please take the above rules and deadlines seriously as they will be strictly enforced.

What is my tuition per semester?

All continuing students will remain on the same fee rate as when they first enrolled in the program. Students who take a semester off, failed a year, or transferred from another university has to pay the tuition fee of that specific year they join the program (again).

How can I ensure full payment of the tuition fee on time by bank transfer?

To ensure full payment, please consider that a transfer fee is usually applied when sending money by bank transfer. When transferring the exact amount for the tuition fee, a transfer fee might be deducted from that amount, rendering your tuition fee deficient. Therefore, please contact your home bank prior to transferring the tuition fee and find out whether the bank deducts a transfer fee from the transferred amount. If yes, please pay the transfer fee in addition to the tuition fee.

Payment by wire transfer:
all payments can be made by wire transfer to Semmelweis University’s below bank account. Payments have to be made in USD.

Account details of Semmelweis University are as follows:
Account holder: Semmelweis University
Account Number (IBAN): HU67 1000 4012 1000 8016 0051 4534
Bank name: Magyar Államkincstár (Hungarian State Treasury)
Bank address: Hold utca 4, 1054 Budapest, Hungary
Correspondent SWIFT code (BIC): MANEHUHB

It is your responsibility to ensure timely and full payment of your tuition fee. It is important for you to keep in mind that checking whether the tuition fee has been paid properly is your responsibility. You are recommended to contact your registrar each term before the payment deadline to find out whether the tuition fee has arrived without any problem.

Am I eligible for a reduction of the tuition fee/allowance for extra work?

Tuition fee can be reduced/allowance can be given in the following cases:

1. Excellent study record

Students may apply for a reduction if they completed all the obligatory subjects and gained at least 20 credits in the semester, and their weighted average is 4,51 or above continuously started from the first or the second semester of the first year. If the weighted average is 4,51 or above in the first semester a reduction can be granted in the second semester. If the weighted average is 4,51 or above only from the second semester then the reduction can be granted from the third semester. The reduction is 10% for students having a weighted average between 4,51 and 4,99, and it is 15% for students having a weighted average 5,00. Students who have a weighted average below 4,51 during their studies after the first year are no longer eligible for a reduction of the tuition fee. No reduction is given in case of exemption from one or more subjects.

2. Teaching Assistant (TA) activity

Students working as teaching assistants (TA-s) may apply for an allowance –  300 USD per semester for the semester that follows the teaching assistance course.
The following criteria will be taken into account when deciding whether a student is entitled to allowance for their Teaching Assistance (TA) work:

  • Your weighted average from the previous school year (indicated as ’Average’ in your Neptun account and ’Weighted average’ on your transcript. See definition at FAQ-s.) must be at least 3,51.

  • You must have received either an ’Excellent’ (5) or ’Good’ (4) as the final result for the subject relating to the TA course you take.

If the completion of the course has been officially considered and accepted by the Directorate of the International Studies, Division of the English Language Programs and the student has met the above requirements, then they may be given the allowance in the next semester’s tuition fee (300 USD). Allowance is not automatic! Taking the TA course does not negate the student’s responsibility to make the scheduled tuition fee payment in full by the appropriate deadline.
Students are only entitled to receive their allowance after they have been officially notified in writing by the Directorate of the International Studies, Division of the English Language Programs.

3. Medicine 6th year students

  1. In case the student completes more than the compulsory 3 weeks of clinical rotations at Semmelweis University, he/she has to pay 100% of the tuition fee valid in that academic year.

  2. In case the student completes the 2 weeks compulsory Pediatrics rotation and 1 week Transfusion course at Semmelweis University and completes the remaining of the rotations abroad, he/she has to pay 80% of the tuition fee valid in the academic year. The relevant acceptance letters should be handed in latest until December 15. Otherwise the student is not entitled for the reduction!

Please write a letter of request addressed to the Academic Program Director when applying for the 20% reduction!

4. Community work

Application should be submitted during the registration week. Further information will be announced by the registrars.