Master’s level nurses characterise the health status of the population, formulate problems, priorities and aims in public health. They conduct research and analyse technical literature, interpret the results of modern statistical methods, perform tasks of organisation and management related to the nursing process. They are able to perform human resource management tasks related to nursing. The Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) MSc program focuses on Primary and Community Health Care and Nursing.
Career opportunities: in the Primary Care Centre, Occupational Health Centre, Home Nursing Service, Nursing Homes, Hospice Care, or in the traditional places of specialized health care: Hospitals and Clinics.
Graduates of the Nursing MSc can continue their studies at the Ph.D. level.
Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis onselecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist on undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of written tests, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
The written examination for the Nursing Msc program consists of a multiple choice test in the subjects of BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing), and also a specific motivational letter in English that must be based on our given questions about the chosen field (500-1000 word worth motivational letter).
When and where
Exams will be held regularly, two, three times in each month from March to the end of August. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR. Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written entrance examination is carried out using the online „Semaphor” interface.
Applicants can take the online test using their own computers at home.
We expect students to speak and understand the English language at an upper intermediate level. This means that the applicant should possess the skills to express themselves fluently and spontaneously enough to comfortably communicate with other English speakers and produce clear, detailed text on many subjects and explain a complex viewpoint on a topic, including expressing advantages and disadvantages.
The applicant should submit an English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge). We accept the following results:
- IELTS 5.5
- TOEFL 50+
- CEFR B2
- Duolingo 85+
- PTE 45+
- Cambridge 162+
- APTIS ESOL CEFR B2 level
- TOEIC 605+
The applicant’s proficiency is also gauged through the written test.
The first year covers the general aspects of the training: basic clinical knowledge, modern nursing interventions, clinical diagnostics and decision-making, as well as therapeutic knowledge, while the second year contains more specific disciplines like family medicine, community nursing, health care management, infant and pediatric nursing, dietotherapy.
The Nursing MSc thesis is formally processed in the final year of the training. The thesis topic needs to be declared by the beginning of the second semester at the latest. The training is finished by written, practical and oral Final Exams.
Wide range of study fields
Health promotion-Health education, Health Informatics, Chronic Diseases, Family planning, Antenatal care, Preventive Pediatrics, Multiculturalism-Transcultural Nursing, Place and Relationships of the APN in the Healthcare, Complex Rehabilitation, Pharmacology, Scientific Research and Biostatistics, Acute diseases, Clinical Diagnosis and Decision Making, Clinical Practice, Community Nursing – Modern Nursing Interventions, ECG basics, Communication in Health Care, Health Care Management – Project Management, Healthcare Law, Nursing Management and Leadership, Health ethics, Nursing Ethics, Community Project Practice, Nursing Education in Clinical Practice.
Recognition of the Degree
The Nursing MSc program meets international standards and the educational requirements of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB). The obtained Nursing MSc degree is subject to automatic recognition in the European Union, so you can start working with it immediately after graduation. Outside of Europe, there may be specific rules for the recognition of qualifications, which are required by individual countries. It is advisable to check what kind of validation the target country prescribes to fully accept the degree.
Watch our video about the Faculty of Health Sciences
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- The training is held in small group classes, and the students' individual progress is supported by the Mentor-system.
- The Faculty has extensive international connections in the field of nursing.
- The professors have thorough knowledge, domestic and international practice in the field of nursing and community nursing.
- The Faculty is located in the heart of Budapest, in modern educational buildings and in well-equipped skill labs. The practice-oriented training in clinics takes place under the supervision of tutors.
How to apply?
The following documents are required to be uploaded to the University's online admission platform: Semaphor (you may reach it through the apply online now button). We accept the original or as attested copies, in English or the original language with an authorized English translation.
- B.Sc. diploma in Nursing (General Nursing) This document is a necessary prerequisite of starting the studies (original/attested copy + copy).
English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge)
- Medical report for application – signed by a GP (download the sample for the Medical Fitness Certificate pdf →)
- Photograph - One passport size photo
- CV in English
- Copy of Passport/ID card with the applicant's personal data and the expiry date of the passport/ID card.
- Letters of Recommendation. Letters in English from a university professor or science instructor are welcome, but not obligatory.
- Payment Certificate about the payment of the 320 EUR admission procedure fee if the applicant chooses not to use the online payment system.
Admission procedure fee: EUR 450
Payable at the time of application and covers the entrance examination.
The admission procedure fee shouldbe paid online by credit card through a secure payment channel from the online application portal, or by wire transfer directly to Semmelweis University.
Enrollment fee: EUR 220
Payable at the beginning of studies, together with the 1st semester's tuition fee.
Tuition fees payable by students establishing student status for the upcoming Academic Year: the tuition fee of the first semester has to arrive to the University's bank account at the latest by the date indicated in the acceptance letter (together with the enrollment fee). The tuition fees of the following semesters have to be paid until the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar of the Faculty.
STEP 1. Enrollment (student registration)
In person at the Faculty’s student service office (called: Foreign Students Secretariat) in late August.
Documents to be presented at registration:
- passport/identity card,
- original High School Diploma /Secondary School Leaving Certificate and a copy of it or the validated English translation if applicable.
Please note that the tuition fee must be paid before registration.
At the registration the followings will take place:
A special insurance is provided for our students, and its fee is included in the tuition fee. The service includes an English-speaking call centre, GP-service and treatment at the Polyclinics and Clinics of Semmelweis University. With the paid tuition fee of the semester and the active student status, the insurance is automatically renewed until the suspension/end of your studies.
- With the student card, students are entitled to buy students’ monthly tickets for the public transport, railways or long-distance bus tickets at a reduced price, access a number of services and discounts (e.g. library services, sport facilities, cultural and commercial discounts, etc.).
- Students need to activate their current semesters in Neptun. Without semester activation, the student card application cannot be started.
- After the semester activation, students need to go to the Office of Government that Issues Documents (short term: Registration Office; in Hungarian: Kormányablak) and apply for a ‘NEK’ document for student card. Passport is required. A photo will be taken of you and your main data will be registered. Please return the document to the student service office (Foreign Students Secretariat) and the Registrar’s Office will finish the application.
- The Secretariat will inform the students if the plastic student card has arrived.
- Please bear in mind that student discounts can only be claimed in the possession of a temporary or permanent card, so you will need to use regular fare tickets in the first month.
STEP 2. Opening Ceremony and the Freshmen’s Oath
You will receive an e-mail with the detailed information of the ceremony.
STEP 3. Introduction to Higher Education course
In early September, with personal participation.
Step 4. Subject registration
In late August / early September, according to the Faculty’s Academic Calendar.