Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis on selecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist in undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of a written test, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
Exams are held regularly, once or twice a week, from early March to mid-August. The exact dates and times are available for those applicants who have successfully submitted their application(s) in the SEMAPHOR online application system. Final details and exam instructions are sent to those applicants who have signed up for an exam date.
Applicants can take the online tests using their own computers at home. The exam must be completed in 120 minutes. The entrance examination is composed of two parts:
- Multiple choice written test in Biology is taken online on the announced dates before the interviews. The test consists of 15 questions, and one option can be selected for each question, as only one answer option is correct.
- 500-1000 word structured motivation letter. Applicants receive the topics on which they have to base the letter. Coherence, good command of English and study program-specific knowledge are required.
Main Specific Subjects for the Entrance Exams
The main scientific fields covered by the exams are as follows:
- The origin and the evolution of life. Prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
- Molecules of life: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids. The outstanding role of water.
- Organization levels: cell, tissues, organs, organ systems, organism: basics of their structure and function
- The cytoplasm and the cell membrane. Composition and transport processes of biological membranes: active transports, passive transports (especially osmosis).
- Main structural and functional characteristics of the organelles: nucleus, mitochondria, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi-apparatus, lysosomes, peroxisomes.
- Basic terms of molecular genetics: the information-carrying mechanisms of the cell: replication, transcription, translation.
- Basics of cell metabolism in humans (and animals). Anabolic and catabolic processes.
- Cell cycle and division: basics and phases of mitosis and meiosis
- Terms and basics of human genetics Modes of the inheritance. Basic terms of Mendelian genetics and molecular genetics.
- Reproduction: gonads, hormonal regulation of germ cell production. Fertilization. Early steps of embryonic development.
Note: Knowledge of English terminology is required in all of these areas!
- Stoker: General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry (latest edition)
- Solomon-Martin-Martin-Berg: Biology (latest edition)
The respective Department evaluates the applicants’ performance at the entrance examinations. Head of the Faculty makes decisions regarding admissions based on the skills, knowledge and attitude judged by the performance at the entrance examination.
Registration for the examination
Applicants have to register (sign up) for the entrance examinations in SEMAPHOR after having submitted a valid application (and paid the Admission Procedure Fee). Registrations can only be withdrawn before the deadline for registration to the given examination.