Master’s level physiotherapists develop therapeutic procedures and protocols based on their extensive national and international knowledge and skills, recognise and analyse physical, anatomical, physiological and pathological factors affecting physical ability and capacity. They participate in solving scientific problems in physiotherapy, and finding new skills and knowledge in their expertise. The specialists perform scientific evaluation of the effectiveness of physiotherapeutic methods, organise and realise clinical research in physiotherapy, publish new scientific results and act as leaders in hospital units of physiotherapy, apply fundamental regulations and quality control principles in the management of health institutions and private enterprises. The promotion of health education on local, community, national and international levels also belongs to the tasks of a physiotherapist.
Career opportunities: In a variety of healthcare settings including hospitals, rehabilitation and community health centers, private practice, industrial clinics and specialist facilities. Qualified master physiotherapists may also work in education as a clinical supervisor and researcher.
Graduates of the Physiotherapy MSc can continue their studies at the Ph.D. level.
Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis onselecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist on undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of written tests, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
The written examination for the Nursing Msc program consists of a multiple choice test in the subjects of BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy), and also a specific motivational letter in English that must be based on our given questions about the chosen field (500-1000 word worth motivational letter).
When and where
Exams will be held regularly, two, three times in each month from March to the end of August. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR. Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written part of the entrance examination is carried out using the online Sempahor interface and our offical admission e-mail account (email@example.com). Applicants can take the online tests using their own computers at home.
We expect students to speak and understand the English language at an upper intermediate level. This means that the applicant should possess the skills to express themselves fluently and spontaneously enough to comfortably communicate with other English speakers and produce clear, detailed text on many subjects and explain a complex viewpoint on a topic, including expressing advantages and disadvantages.
The applicant should submit an English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge). We accept the following results:
- IELTS 5.5
- TOEFL 50+
- CEFR B2
- Duolingo 85+
- PTE 45+
- Cambridge 162+
- APTIS ESOL CEFR B2 level
- TOEIC 605+
The applicant’s proficiency is also gauged through the written test.
The first semester focuses on a wide range of topics from clinical science via research methodology to biophysics, while the second semester expends students’ knowledge in the fields of evidence-based interventions (manual therapies and active therapeutic exercises), as well as of differential diagnosis. This semester they will start working on a Thesis. During the third semester, students integrate scientific research into their clinical practice and submit and defend their Thesis.
Wide range of study fields
Significance of Diagnostic Imaging in Physiotherapy Practice, Pharmacology, Clinical Science of Musculoskeletal Disorders, Clinical Science in Neurological Disorders, Clinical Science of Cardiorespiratory Diseases, Developmental Neurology, Clinical Exercise Physiology, Assistive Devices in Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation, Clinical Neuropsychology, Differential Diagnosis in Physiotherapy Practice, Scientific Background and Evidence-Based Practice of Active Therapeutic Exercise, Evidence-Based Manual Therapy in Physiotherapy Practice, Evidence-Based Neurological Physiotherapy in Physiotherapy Practice.
Recognition of the Degree
The Physiotherapy MSc program meets international standards and the educational requirements of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB). The obtained Physiotherapy MSc degree is subject to automatic recognition in the European Union, so you can start working with it immediately after graduation. Outside of Europe, there may be specific rules for the recognition of qualifications, which are required by individual countries. It is advisable to check what kind of validation the target country prescribes to fully accept the degree.
Watch our video about the Faculty of Health Sciences
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- The training is held in small group classes, and the students' individual progress is supported by the Mentor-system.
- The Faculty has extensive international connections in the field of physiotherapy.
- Training takes place at the oldest and most famous medical university and the oldest Faculty of Health Sciences of Hungary.
- The Faculty is located in the heart of Budapest, in modern educational buildings and in well-equipped skill labs.
How to apply?
The following documents are required to be uploaded to the University's online admission platform: Semaphor (you may reach it through the apply online now button). We accept the original or as attested copies, in English or the original language with an authorized English translation.
- BSc diploma in Physiotherapy. This document is a necessary prerequisite of starting the studies (original/attested copy + copy).
- English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge)
- Medical report for application – signed by a GP (download the sample for the Medical Fitness Certificate pdf →)
- Photograph - One passport size photo
- CV in English
- Copy of Passport/ID card with the applicant's personal data and the expiry date of the passport/ID card.
- Letters of Recommendation. Letters in English from a university professor or science instructor are welcome, but not obligatory.
- Payment Certificate about the payment of the 320 EUR admission procedure fee if the applicant chooses not to use the online payment system.
Admission procedure fee: EUR 450
Payable at the time of application and covers the entrance examination.
The admission procedure fee shouldbe paid online by credit card through a secure payment channel from the online application portal, or by wire transfer directly to Semmelweis University.
Enrollment fee: EUR 220
Payable at the beginning of studies, together with the 1st semester's tuition fee.
Tuition fees payable by students establishing student status for the upcoming Academic Year: the tuition fee of the first semester has to arrive to the University's bank account at the latest by the date indicated in the acceptance letter (together with the enrollment fee). The tuition fees of the following semesters have to be paid until the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar of the Faculty.
STEP 1. Enrollment (student registration)
In person at the Faculty’s student service office (called: Foreign Students Secretariat) in late August.
Documents to be presented at registration:
- passport/identity card,
- original High School Diploma /Secondary School Leaving Certificate and a copy of it or the validated English translation if applicable.
Please note that the tuition fee must be paid before registration.
At the registration the followings will take place:
A special insurance is provided for our students, and its fee is included in the tuition fee. The service includes an English-speaking call centre, GP-service and treatment at the Polyclinics and Clinics of Semmelweis University. With the paid tuition fee of the semester and the active student status, the insurance is automatically renewed until the suspension/end of your studies.
- With the student card, students are entitled to buy students’ monthly tickets for the public transport, railways or long-distance bus tickets at a reduced price, access a number of services and discounts (e.g. library services, sport facilities, cultural and commercial discounts, etc.).
- Students need to activate their current semesters in Neptun. Without semester activation, the student card application cannot be started.
- After the semester activation, students need to go to the Office of Government that Issues Documents (short term: Registration Office; in Hungarian: Kormányablak) and apply for a ‘NEK’ document for student card. Passport is required. A photo will be taken of you and your main data will be registered. Please return the document to the student service office (Foreign Students Secretariat) and the Registrar’s Office will finish the application.
- The Secretariat will inform the students if the plastic student card has arrived.
- Please bear in mind that student discounts can only be claimed in the possession of a temporary or permanent card, so you will need to use regular fare tickets in the first month.
STEP 2. Opening Ceremony and the Freshmen’s Oath
You will receive an e-mail with the detailed information of the ceremony.
STEP 3. Introduction to Higher Education course
In early September, with personal participation.
Step 4. Subject registration
In late August / early September, according to the Faculty’s Academic Calendar.