EU & EEA countries

Students coming from EU & EEA countries do not need a student visa but have to apply for a registration certificate within 90 days after their arrival in Hungary.

Other countries

International students who want to stay in Hungary for more than 90 consecutive days and who are not coming from EU & EEA countries are required to apply for a long-term student visa to stay in the country. Student visa requirements for Hungary vary, therefore it’s important to enquire well in advance about the entry regulations which apply to your home country.


Semmelweis Medical Services Ltd. undertakes the administrative tasks related to the residence permit of Semmelweis University students. The Ltd. offers to guide students through an administrative process as quick and simple as possible. That includes:

  • For students that require visa, a liaison with the student’s national embassy in Hungary to help arrange the necessary documents and legal representation in this matter
  • Preparing the necessary documents for issuing the residence permit for study purposes and its annual renewal.

Contact us!

Documents required for your student visa for Hungary are:
  • Proof of having paid the tuition fee
  • An acceptance letter from Semmelweis University regarding your admission
  • Passport valid at least 6 months beyond your date of entry
  • Copy of the photograph page of your passport
  • Passport photo no more than 6 months old
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of address or housing in Hungary
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover living expenses in the form of bank assurance/statement
  • Visa application form
  • 3 stamped envelopes addressed to the applicant

When the consulates require an appointment, you may need to schedule it around 4 to 6 weeks in advance because appointment times are limited. After the appointment, the visa processing time usually takes an additional 1 to 4 weeks. 

Residence permit

You will need to apply for your residence permit within 15 days of arrival in Hungary.
This applies to both EU and non-EU citizens planning to stay in Hungary for longer than 90 days.

To apply for a residence permit, EU and EEA citizens need to submit the following documents:
  • Proof of payment of tuition fees
  • Approval document of the host university in Hungary
  • Proof of health insurance

For more information, visit the Consular Services 
or the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing website.

Source: →