Physiotherapists act as autonomous practitioners who treat patients with therapeutic exercises, manual techniques and other therapeutic modalities as the professionals’ chief task is to improve the functions of the musculoskeletal system. The therapists develop movement therapies and apply electrotherapeutic treatment, therapeutic ultrasound, and various manual and massage treatments for the sake of healing and rehabilitation or for the prevention of health damage. Graduates take part in healing locomotor (orthopaedic, rheumatologic, traumatologic), cardiovascular, obstetrical, gynaecological, neurological and psychiatric) disorders.
Career opportunities: Hospitals, Clinics, Outpatient Clinics, Rehabilitation Centers, Adult Care Institutions, Primary Care, Home-Based Care, Schools, Hospice Care, Workplace Health Centers, Medical Tourism (Wellness Hotels, Thermal Baths, Spas), NGO Regional Community Wellness Programs, Sports Centers, Professional Sport Teams.
Graduates of the Physiotherapy BSc can continue their studies at MSc level.
Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis onselecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist on undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of written tests, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
The written examination for the Physiotherapy BSc program consists of a multiple-choice test in Biology.
A specific motivation letter in English must be submitted, based on the given questions for the chosen field (500-1000 words).
When and where
Exams will be held regularly, two, three times in each month from March to the end of August. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR. Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written entrance examination is carried out using the online „Semaphor” interface.
Applicants can take the online test using their own computers at home.
We expect students to speak and understand the English language at an upper intermediate level. This means that the applicant should possess the skills to express themselves fluently and spontaneously enough to comfortably communicate with other English speakers and produce clear, detailed text on many subjects and explain a complex viewpoint on a topic, including expressing advantages and disadvantages.
The applicant should submit an English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge). We accept the following results:
- IELTS 5.5
- TOEFL 50+
- CEFR B2
- Duolingo 85+
- PTE 45+
- Cambridge 162+
- APTIS ESOL CEFR B2 level
- TOEIC 605+
The applicant’s proficiency is also gauged through the written test.
The first year is dominated by basic subjects of health sciences (e.g. Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology, Oncology, Public Health and Epidemiology), then Physiotherapy-specific theoretical and practical subjects, as well as clinical practices follow. The fourth year revolves around field practices and the thesis work. After successful final examination and the defense of the thesis work, students receive BSc degree certificate in Physiotherapy.
Wide range of study fields
Functional Analysis of the Musculoskeletal System, Basics of Medical Technology and Biophysics, Electro-, Balneo-, Hydro-, Climatotherapy, Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy, Physiotherapy in Internal Medicine, Physiotherapy in Orthopaedics, Physiotherapy in Traumatology, Physiotherapy in Rheumatology, Physiotherapy in Neurology and Psychiatry, Complex Rehabilitation, Physiotherapy in Specific Age-groups, Physiotherapy in Special Life Situations, Clinical Simulation
Recognition of the Degrees
The Physiotherapy BSc program meets international standards and the educational requirements of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB). The obtained Physiotherapy BSc degree is subject to automatic recognition in the European Union, so you can start working with it immediately after graduation. Outside of Europe, there may be specific rules for the recognition of qualifications, which are required by individual countries. It is advisable to check what kind of validation the target country prescribes to fully accept the degree.
Watch our video about the Faculty of Health Sciences
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- The training is held in small group classes, and the students' individual progress is supported by the Mentor-system.
- World Physio (former World Confederation for Physical Therapy) issued a Certification of accreditation for five years with conditions for the BSc training in Budapest, which testifies the high professional content of the program.
- The Faculty has extensive international connections in the field of physiotherapy.
- Training takes place at the oldest and most famous medical university and the firstly established Faculty of Health Sciences of Hungary.
- The Faculty is located in the heart of Budapest, in modern educational buildings and in well-equipped skill labs. The practice-oriented training in clinics takes place under the supervision of tutors.
How to apply?
The following documents are required to be uploaded to the University's online admission platform: Semaphor (you may reach it through the apply online now button). We accept the original or as attested copies, in English or the original language with an authorized English translation.
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate from an accredited secondary school. This document is a necessary prerequisite of starting the studies (original/attested copy + copy). If the student at the time of applying has not completed his/her studies at secondary school yet, the leaving certificate can be submitted until the registration day.
- English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge)
- Medical report for application – signed by a GP (download the sample for the Medical Fitness Certificate pdf →)
- Photograph - One passport size photo
- CV in English
- Copy of Passport/ID card with the applicant's personal data and the expiry date of the passport/ID card.
- Letters of Recommendation. Letters in English from a secondary school principal or science instructor are welcome, but not obligatory.
- Payment Certificate about the payment of the 320 EUR admission procedure fee if the applicant chooses not to use the online payment system.
Admission procedure fee: EUR 320
Payable at the time of application and covers the entrance examination.
The admission procedure fee shouldbe paid online by credit card through a secure payment channel from the online application portal, or by wire transfer directly to Semmelweis University.
Enrollment fee: EUR 220
Payable at the beginning of studies, together with the 1st semester's tuition fee.
Tuition fees payable by students establishing student status for the upcoming Academic Year: the tuition fee of the first semester has to arrive to the University's bank account at the latest by the date indicated in the acceptance letter (together with the enrollment fee). The tuition fees of the following semesters have to be paid until the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar of the Faculty.
STEP 1. Enrollment (student registration)
In person at the Faculty’s student service office (called: Foreign Students Secretariat) in late August.
Documents to be presented at registration:
- passport/identity card,
- original High School Diploma /Secondary School Leaving Certificate and a copy of it or the validated English translation if applicable.
Please note that the tuition fee must be paid before registration.
At the registration the followings will take place:
A special insurance is provided for our students, and its fee is included in the tuition fee. The service includes an English-speaking call centre, GP-service and treatment at the Polyclinics and Clinics of Semmelweis University. With the paid tuition fee of the semester and the active student status, the insurance is automatically renewed until the suspension/end of your studies.
- With the student card, students are entitled to buy students’ monthly tickets for the public transport, railways or long-distance bus tickets at a reduced price, access a number of services and discounts (e.g. library services, sport facilities, cultural and commercial discounts, etc.).
- Students need to activate their current semesters in Neptun. Without semester activation, the student card application cannot be started.
- After the semester activation, students need to go to the Office of Government that Issues Documents (short term: Registration Office; in Hungarian: Kormányablak) and apply for a ‘NEK’ document for student card. Passport is required. A photo will be taken of you and your main data will be registered. Please return the document to the student service office (Foreign Students Secretariat) and the Registrar’s Office will finish the application.
- The Secretariat will inform the students if the plastic student card has arrived.
- Please bear in mind that student discounts can only be claimed in the possession of a temporary or permanent card, so you will need to use regular fare tickets in the first month.
STEP 2. Opening Ceremony and the Freshmen’s Oath
You will receive an e-mail with the detailed information of the ceremony.
STEP 3. Introduction to Higher Education course
In early September, with personal participation.
Step 4. Subject registration
In late August / early September, according to the Faculty’s Academic Calendar.