Nurses holding a B.Sc. degree are responsible for conducting the healing-nursing activities prescribed by the physician, and help the patient and the physician perform certain examinations. Graduates are able to provide health care treatment for each age group from premature infants to elderly patients, explore the special needs of the patient and the person cared for, prepare nursing diagnoses and perform the tasks professionally on the basis of priorities, participate in planning, developing and implementing health care and social services.
Career opportunities: Primary Care, Specialized Care (Hospitals, Clinics, Nursing Homes, Hospice Care). Graduates of the Nursing BSc can continue their studies at MSc level.
Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis onselecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist on undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of written tests, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
The written examination for the Nursing BSc program consists of a multiple-choice test in Biology.
A specific motivation letter in English must be submitted, based on the given questions for the chosen field (500-1000 words).
When and where
Exams will be held regularly, two, three times in each month from March to the end of August. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR. Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written entrance examination is carried out using the online „Semaphor” interface.
Applicants can take the online test using their own computers at home.
We expect students to speak and understand the English language at an upper intermediate level. This means that the applicant should possess the skills to express themselves fluently and spontaneously enough to comfortably communicate with other English speakers and produce clear, detailed text on many subjects and explain a complex viewpoint on a topic, including expressing advantages and disadvantages.
The applicant should submit an English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge). We accept the following results:
- IELTS 5.5
- TOEFL 50+
- CEFR B2
- Duolingo 85+
- PTE 45+
- Cambridge 162+
- APTIS ESOL CEFR B2 level
- TOEIC 605+
The applicant’s proficiency is also gauged through the written test.
The first year is dominated by basic subjects of health sciences (e.g. Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology, Public Health and Epidemiology), then Nursing-specific theoretical and practical subjects, as well as clinical practices follow. The fourth year revolves around field practices and the thesis work. After successful final examination and the defense of the thesis work, students receive BSc degree certificate in Nursing. You may see all subjects and credits in the Curriculum (see below).
⇒ See modules and credits (pdf)
Wide range of study fields
Internal Medicine and Nursing, Surgery and Nursing, Obstetrics-Gynecology and Nursing, Anesthesiology, Intensive Therapy and Nursing, Pediatrics and Nursing, Neurology and Nursing, Psychiatry and Nursing, Primary Health Care and Community Nursing, Oncology and Nursing.
Recognition of the Degree
The Nursing BSc program meets international standards and the educational requirements of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB). The obtained Nursing BSc degree is subject to automatic recognition in the European Union, so you can start working with it immediately after graduation.
Watch our video about the Faculty of Health Sciences
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- The training is held in small group classes, and the students' individual progress is supported by the Mentor-system.
- The practice-oriented training in clinics takes place under the supervision of tutors.
- The Faculty’s professors have extensive knowledge, domestic and international practice in the field of nursing and community nursing. The Faculty has extensive international connections in the field of nursing.
- The Faculty is located in the heart of Budapest, in modern educational buildings and in well-equipped skill labs.
- Training takes place at the oldest and most famous medical university and the oldest Faculty of Health Sciences of Hungary.
How to apply?
The following documents are required to be uploaded to the University's online admission platform: Semaphor (you may reach it through the apply online now button). We accept the original or as attested copies, in English or the original language with an authorized English translation.
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate from an accredited secondary school. This document is a necessary prerequisite of starting the studies (original/attested copy + copy). If the student at the time of applying has not completed his/her studies at secondary school yet, the leaving certificate can be submitted until the registration day.
- English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge)
- Medical report for application – signed by a GP (download the sample for the Medical Fitness Certificate pdf →)
- Photograph - One passport size photo
- CV in English
- Copy of Passport/ID card with the applicant's personal data and the expiry date of the passport/ID card.
- Letters of Recommendation. Letters in English from a secondary school principal or science instructor are welcome, but not obligatory.
- Payment Certificate about the payment of the 320 EUR admission procedure fee if the applicant chooses not to use the online payment system.
Admission procedure fee: EUR 320
Payable at the time of application and covers the entrance examination.
The admission procedure fee shouldbe paid online by credit card through a secure payment channel from the online application portal, or by wire transfer directly to Semmelweis University.
Enrollment fee: EUR 220
Payable at the beginning of studies, together with the 1st semester's tuition fee.
Tuition fees payable by students establishing student status for the upcoming Academic Year: the tuition fee of the first semester has to arrive to the University's bank account at the latest by the date indicated in the acceptance letter (together with the enrollment fee). The tuition fees of the following semesters have to be paid until the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar of the Faculty.
Read more about how and where can you settle your payments →
STEP 1. Enrollment (student registration)
In person at the Faculty’s student service office (called: Foreign Students Secretariat) in late August.
Documents to be presented at registration:
- passport/identity card,
- original High School Diploma /Secondary School Leaving Certificate and a copy of it or the validated English translation if applicable.
Please note that the tuition fee must be paid before registration.
At the registration the followings will take place:
A special insurance is provided for our students, and its fee is included in the tuition fee. The service includes an English-speaking call centre, GP-service and treatment at the Polyclinics and Clinics of Semmelweis University. With the paid tuition fee of the semester and the active student status, the insurance is automatically renewed until the suspension/end of your studies.
- With the student card, students are entitled to buy students’ monthly tickets for the public transport, railways or long-distance bus tickets at a reduced price, access a number of services and discounts (e.g. library services, sport facilities, cultural and commercial discounts, etc.).
- Students need to activate their current semesters in Neptun. Without semester activation, the student card application cannot be started.
- After the semester activation, students need to go to the Office of Government that Issues Documents (short term: Registration Office; in Hungarian: Kormányablak) and apply for a ‘NEK’ document for student card. Passport is required. A photo will be taken of you and your main data will be registered. Please return the document to the student service office (Foreign Students Secretariat) and the Registrar’s Office will finish the application.
- The Secretariat will inform the students if the plastic student card has arrived.
- Please bear in mind that student discounts can only be claimed in the possession of a temporary or permanent card, so you will need to use regular fare tickets in the first month.
STEP 2. Opening Ceremony and the Freshmen’s Oath
You will receive an e-mail with the detailed information of the ceremony.
STEP 3. Introduction to Higher Education course
In early September, with personal participation.
Step 4. Subject registration
In late August / early September, according to the Faculty’s Academic Calendar.
Frequently asked questions
Rules and Principles for Application and Admission (pdf)
Read more about the Faculty of Health Sciences