Graduates of the Medical Diagnostic Analysis BSc with Optometry Specialization program use their knowledge in optics to conduct the examination and correction of the eye independently and prescribe optical aids (eyeglasses, contact lenses) to obtain optimal visual acuity in patients. They estimate the refractive medium, refractive ability, errors of refraction, the way eye muscles function, and the ability of heterophoria and convergence. The professionals examine binocular vision, the chamber of the eye, crystalline lens, vitreous humour and the eye fundus with the help of a slit lamp, and they estimate ocular tension.
Career opportunities: Optic Shops, Outpatient Ophthalmologic Clinics and Hospitals, Optical Products and Project Management, Ophthalmologic Diagnostic Laboratories, Ophthalmic Assistance, Ophthalmic Research Projects Graduates of the Medical Diagnostic Analyst – Optometry BSc program can continue their studies at MSc level.
Semmelweis University puts a great emphasis onselecting outstanding applicants for enrollment and training. Therefore, we persist on undertaking complex entrance examinations composed of written tests, which allows us to reliably evaluate the knowledge, skills, motivation and personality of the applicants.
The written examination for the Optometry Bsc program consists of a multiple choice test in Biology, a specific motivational letter in English that must be based on our given questions about the chosen field (500-1000 word worth motivational letter).
When and where
Exams will be held regularly, two, three times in each month from March to the end of August. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR. Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written entrance examination is carriedout using the online Sempahor interface and our offical admission e-mail account (email@example.com). Applicants can take the online tests using their owncomputers at home.
Milyen nyelvi szintet várunk el?
The first year is dominated by basic subjects of health sciences (e.g. Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology, Public Health and Epidemiology), then Optometry-specific theoretical and practical subjects, as well as clinical practices follow. The fourth year revolves around field practices and the thesis work. After successful final examination and the defense of the thesis work, students receive BSc degree certificate in Optometry.
Our international students are a diverse group of lively and enthusiastic people who seek to realize their full potential during their studies. We admit students from all over the world and we provide them with tutors who help them improve their skills in various professional fields.
Wide range of study fields
Ocular Anatomy, Ophthalmic Pathology, Ophthalmic Optics, Prescribing Eyeglasses, Contactology, Clinical Ophthalmology, Physiology and Pathology of Binocular Vision, Ophthalmic Technology, Basics of the Optometrist Profession, Paediatric Ophthalmology, Optical Materials and Manufacturing Technology
Recognition of the Degree
The Optometry BSc program meets international standards and the educational requirements of the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (MAB). The obtained Optometry BSc degree is subject to automatic recognition in the European Union, so you can start working with it immediately after graduation. Outside of Europe, there may be specific rules for the recognition of qualifications, which are required by individual countries. It is advisable to check what kind of validation the target country prescribes to fully accept the degree.
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- The training is held in small group classes, and the students' individual progress is supported by the Mentor-system.
- The Faculty has extensive international connections in the field of Optometry.
- Training takes place at the oldest and most famous medical university and the firstly established Faculty of Health Sciences of Hungary.
- The Faculty is located in the heart of Budapest, in modern educational buildings and laboratories equipped with modern eye examination utensils.
How to apply?
The following documents are required to be uploaded to the University's online admission platform: Semaphor (you may reach it through the apply online now button). We accept the original or as attested copies, in English or the original language with an authorized English translation.
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate from an accredited secondary school. This document is a necessary prerequisite of starting the studies (original/attested copy + copy). If the student at the time of applying has not completed his/her studies at secondary school yet, the leaving certificate can be submitted until the registration day.
- English language certificate or equivalent document (which proves English language knowledge)
- Medical report for application – signed by a GP (download the sample for the Medical Fitness Certificate pdf →)
- Photograph - One passport size photo
- CV in English
- Copy of Passport/ID card with the applicant's personal data and the expiry date of the passport/ID card.
- Letters of Recommendation. Letters in English from a secondary school principal or science instructor are welcome, but not obligatory.
- Payment Certificate about the payment of the 320 EUR admission procedure fee if the applicant chooses not to use the online payment system.
Admission procedure fee: EUR 320
Payable at the time of application and covers the entrance examination.
The admission procedure fee shouldbe paid online by credit card through a secure payment channel from the online application portal, or by wire transfer directly to Semmelweis University.
Enrollment fee: EUR 220
Payable at the beginning of studies, together with the 1st semester's tuition fee.
Tuition fees payable by students establishing student status for the upcoming Academic Year: the tuition fee of the first semester has to arrive to the University's bank account at the latest by the date indicated in the acceptance letter (together with the enrollment fee). The tuition fees of the following semesters have to be paid until the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar of the Faculty.
STEP 1. Enrollment (student registration)
In person at the Faculty’s student service office (called: Foreign Students Secretariat) in late August.
Documents to be presented at registration:
- passport/identity card,
- original High School Diploma /Secondary School Leaving Certificate and a copy of it or the validated English translation if applicable.
Please note that the tuition fee must be paid before registration.
At the registration the followings will take place:
A special insurance is provided for our students, and its fee is included in the tuition fee. The service includes an English-speaking call centre, GP-service and treatment at the Polyclinics and Clinics of Semmelweis University. With the paid tuition fee of the semester and the active student status, the insurance is automatically renewed until the suspension/end of your studies.
- With the student card, students are entitled to buy students’ monthly tickets for the public transport, railways or long-distance bus tickets at a reduced price, access a number of services and discounts (e.g. library services, sport facilities, cultural and commercial discounts, etc.).
- Students need to activate their current semesters in Neptun. Without semester activation, the student card application cannot be started.
- After the semester activation, students need to go to the Office of Government that Issues Documents (short term: Registration Office; in Hungarian: Kormányablak) and apply for a ‘NEK’ document for student card. Passport is required. A photo will be taken of you and your main data will be registered. Please return the document to the student service office (Foreign Students Secretariat) and the Registrar’s Office will finish the application.
- The Secretariat will inform the students if the plastic student card has arrived.
- Please bear in mind that student discounts can only be claimed in the possession of a temporary or permanent card, so you will need to use regular fare tickets in the first month.
STEP 2. Opening Ceremony and the Freshmen’s Oath
You will receive an e-mail with the detailed information of the ceremony.
STEP 3. Introduction to Higher Education course
In early September, with personal participation.
Step 4. Subject registration
In late August / early September, according to the Faculty’s Academic Calendar.