The broad scientific basis of the training ensures that, in addition to pharmacy, it also provides a basis for working within related professions such as chemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, biology, and further studies in these fields. Thanks to the multidisciplinary training, in addition to pharmacy and institutional (hospital) pharmacy, graduates can easily find employment in pharmaceutical research, pharmaceutical industry, pharmaceutical authorities and pharmaceutical trade throughout the European Union. The training also provides a broad basis in biomedical sciences, which provides useful knowledge for other areas of healthcare.
Exams will be held regularly, once or twice a week from early March until the end of June. The exact dates and times will be provided to the applicants having submitted their application(s) in the University’s online application system SEMAPHOR . Final details and instructions regarding a specific exam will be sent to our applicants having signed up to the particular exam.
The written part of the entrance examination is carried out using the online E-learning (Moodle) interface. Applicants can take the online tests using their own computers at home.
The written examination is a multiple choice test in Medical Biology, Medical Chemistry, General English and Biomedical English. Each topic consists of 20 questions.
The personal interview, which focuses on the applicant’s professional attitude, affinity and motivation towards medical sciences, as well as on their communication skills in English and it also includes an oral examination to measure the applicant’s knowledge in the above disciplines.
The interviews including the oral exam will take place after the written tests. They will be held in person by default, but online interviews on the Zoom platform may be also introduced depending on the status of the epidemic. Applicants will be notified in a timely manner of the offline or online nature of each interview so that they can prepare.
While obtaining a language certificate is not required, we expect students to speak and understand the English language at an upper intermediate level. This means that the applicant should possess the skills to express themselves fluently and spontaneously enough to comfortably communicate with other English speakers and produce clear, detailed text on many subjects and explain a complex viewpoint on a topic, including expressing advantages and disadvantages.
The applicant’s proficiency is gauged through the written tests and an interview in English language.
Please refer to the below list for the required language proficiency equivalence for different grading methods:
- IELTS 5.5
- TOEFL 50+
- CEFR B2
- Cambridge 162+
In addition to the above mentioned, basic knowledge in biomedical English is also required to pass the entrance examination. This refers to terminology used in natural sciences such as biology and chemistry.
The basic module or the first two years of the training focus on the basic subjects related to pharmaceutical sciences such as chemistry, biology, mathematics, physics both through theoretical and practical classes. In the following years, more emphasis is placed on introducing these subjects at a higher level, as they relate to pharmacy. From here on, pharmacy-specific subjects are taught throughout the year with a high ratio of practical training involved. In third and fourth years, multiple internships and practices are available for students to receive hands-on experience regarding this field.
The preparation for the diploma work and thesis starts in the fourth year and the training ends in the fifth year, with yet another compulsory practice, the submission of the thesis and the closing examination.
Recognition of the Degree
Our pharmaceutical sciences diploma is recognized throughout the European Union. Read more →
Watch our video about the faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Why choose Semmelweis University?
- A broad basis in science and biomedical sciences, which opens up opportunities for employment in all areas of the pharmaceutical industry
- High ratio of practical training
- Hungary's largest clinical background for bedside pharmacy training
- Good ranking positions, high academic performance
- Professional doctorates
How to apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the end of the calendar year of application, and preferably under the age of 30.
Applicants are requested to either have completed high school/senior secondary school before the time of application, or to currently attend the last year of high school/secondary school. In the latter case, the Matriculation / School Leaving Certificate has to be uploaded into the University's online application system SEMAPHOR by the 21st of August the year of application.
Semmelweis University seeks students who possess a strong background and interest in natural sciences (particularly in biology and chemistry), a good command of English, and a strong motivation to study and practice medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical sciences or other health care professions. Our English language programs are fundamentally available for applicants having no Hungarian citizenship as the Hungarian citizens are eligible to apply for the Hungarian language programs through FELVI.
The following documents are required to be uploaded (original, or as certified copies, in English or in the original language with a certified English translation).
- Matriculation / School Leaving Certificate from an accredited high school / senior secondary school. Registration number of documents should be indicated. Those who have not yet received this certificate can also submit their application and take the entrance examination. The final deadline for uploading the Matriculation Certificate is the - 6 - 21 st of August.
- CV (Resume) in English.
- A personal statement (motivation letter)
- Copy of passport (or ID card for citizens of Schengen Area member countries) with your personal data.
- Passport photo.
- Medical Certificate – to be uploaded when accepting the offered admission: Certification that the applicant is physically and mentally able to complete higher educational studies, and does not suffer from chronic or infectious diseases is requested from the successful applicants for the acceptance of an offered admission. The certificate downloaded from the University’s website should be issued within 90 days before the date of uploading.
The applicant who violates the rules of the application / admission procedure defined here and/or makes a false statement during the application / admission procedure may be excluded from the procedure at any stage.
Admission Procedure Fee: USD 350
The Admission Procedure Fee is payable upon application.
Deposit: USD 2 000 - deducted from the first semester’s tuition fee.
Applicants admitted to the university have to pay a non-refundable deposit within 14 days after the notification of admittance.
Enrollment fee: USD 220
The enrollment fee is payable together with the tuition fee after acceptance.
- Arrive at Semmelweis University Basic Science Center at the date and time received via e-mail.
- Read and fill out documents provided by the enrollment team.
- Submit required documents.
- Register for subjects at the pre-determined time and date provided via e-mail.