Study in Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Hospital has entered into an agreement with the four Hungarian medical universities that teach medicine to provide 12 week credit-bearing senior electives to medical students who are in their 6th year of education (apply for the program during 5th year)
The rotations begin four times a year. The exact dates will be determined by HMAA at the interview(most likely October 2021). Total 12 students can participate (3 students per 12 week period).
The purpose of the Program is to facilitate the exchange of medical students as well as expand the experience and knowledge between the involved medical universities. With this program the HMAA allows students develop improved medical knowledge and establish long term professional relationships, that in turn fosters improved healthcare in Hungary.
This program is sponsored and managed by the HUNGARIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, HMAA (www.hmaa.org).
Students may take the following electives:
- Vascular Surgery/Surgery
- Anesthesiology/Intensive Care
- Neurology/Stroke Unit
* Please note that these electives are subject to availability at the time of the rotation.
Students are expected to cover:
- Round trip air transportation
- Health insurance
- Medical liability/Malpractice insurance is 1000 USD for 3 months
- Meal costs
- Pallas Athéné Innovációs és Geopolitikai Alapítvány (PAIGEO): estimated 1816 USD support (per person for 3 months based on the 2020/21 academic year stipend) for maximum 4 of the Hungarian* students (per academic year) who participate in the Houston Exchange Program (no need for additional application, the decision made by the HMAA based on the interview and application results).
- Campus Mundi (individual application is needed!)
* elegibility: only for 4 of the Hungarian students (per academic year) who participate in the Houston Exchange Program and are from the Hungarian Language Program.
Who can apply?
The program is open to students of all four Hungarian medical universities. Medical students who are in their 5th year of education at the beginning of September 2020 or those who are in their 6th year of education at the beginning of September 2021 and plan to do their 6th year in 2 units, so that the second unit would start from September 2022. Medical students with Hungarian heritage may apply from both the Hungarian and English language programs. Only HMAA Hungary Chapter members can apply for the exchange program (membership is free for medical students, for further information and application visit the Hungary Chapter page).
Students must apply only one location from the HMAA Exchange Programs! It is not possible to apply for more (Buffalo, Houston)!
Applications must be emailed by July 30, 2021 by midnight (CET). Applications emailed later than this date will not be accepted. Only online applications will be accepted.
Requirements (all should be submitted by email in one pdf document named as the applicant):
- Completed Application Form
- Letter of recommendation from the Dean (in English) – scanned original
- Hungarian and English credit transcript from year 1 onwards – scanned original
- Statement of the medical student status – scanned original
- Curriculum vitae (in English) – scanned original signed
- Letter of motivation/intent (in English) – scanned original signed
- Passport size photo – scanned original
The application must be complete, otherwise it will be automatically rejected.
For further information contact the program coordinator.
The personal interview will take place on the august 30, 2021 in Budapest.
All students must submit a written EXIT INTERVIEW to the Department of International Relations of Semmelweis University, to the HMAA and to the HMAA Hungary Chapter after the end of the exchange program. All students are encouraged to attend the Balatonfüred congress of the HMAA Hungary Chapter in August, 2021 and 2022.
Please follow the information on the HMAA website (www.hmaa.org) which is continually being updated!
How to submit your application
One copy to be emailed to:
Zsolt Garami, MD
One copy to be emailed to:
Directorate of International Relations
Üllői u.25. Room nr. 220
You can download the Applicaton Form here: