MODIFIED CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR BUFFALO SCHOLARSHIP
Senior Medical Student Program in the USA
The Roswell Park Cancer Institute and Dent Neurological Institute has entered into an agreement with the four Hungarian medical universities that teach medicine to provide 12 week credit-bearing senior electives to medical students who are in their 6th year of education (apply for the program during 5th year).
The rotations begin four times a year, approximately in July, September, December of next year and March of the year following the next. The exact dates will be determined by HMAA at the beginning of 2017.
This program is sponsored and managed by the Hungarian Medical Association of America.
The purpose of the Program is to facilitate the exchange of students as well as experience and knowledge between the involved medical universities. With this program the HMAA contributes and provides broad medical knowledge
- to young Hungarian physicians who are entering the Hungarian health care system.
Students may take the following electives: Internal Medicine – Endocrinology; Pediatrics – Child Neurology; Neurosurgery; Neurology; Headache Medicine; Surgical Oncology; Medical Oncology; Neuroradiology/Radiology; Gyn-Oncology; Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Surgery
Please note that these electives are subject to availability at the time of the rotation.
Students are expected to cover:
- Round trip air transportation
- Cost of books, materials if required
- Health insurance
- Medical liability (coordinated by HMAA) is appr. USD 300-400 for 3 months
- Meal costs (some Buffalo departments provide meal tickets for use in the hospital)
- Students accepted for the program will contribute to their housing in the amount of 300 USD per month (900 USD total)
Please note that max. 4 students may participate at one particular rotation. Once you have submitted your preferred rotation time (e.g.: September 2017) there is a limited possibility to change it later. All possible changes of rotation times are coordinated by HMAA Hungary Chapter and Semmelweis University.
Who can apply?
The program is open to students of all four Hungarian medical universities. Medical students who are in their 5th year of education at the beginning of September 2016 or those who are in their 6th year of education at the beginning of September 2016 and plan to do their 6th year in two units, so that the second unit would start from September 2017. Medical students with Hungarian heritage may apply from both the Hungarian and English language programs. Only HMAA Hungary Chapter members can apply for the exchange program (membership is free for medical students, for further information visit the Hungary Chapter page).
Deadline: applications must be postmarked by January 12, 2017.
Applications postmarked later than this date will not be accepted.
Requirements (all documents to be submitted in 2 copies):
- Completed Application Form
- Letter of recommendation from the Dean (in English)
- Letter of recommendation from two different Heads of Department (in English)
- Hungarian and English credit transcript from year 1 onwards and statement of the medical student status
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation/intent
- TOEFL exam (By the decision of the HMAA Board, starting with the new academic year from June 1st, 2017, rules for the Buffalo Student Exchange Program will change as follows: No TOEFL language exam is required (of course, a good command of English is a requirement).)
- 1 Passport size photo
The application must be complete, otherwise it will be automatically rejected.
One of the copies with one photo to be sent to:
HMAA c/o Eva Tamoga Ed.M.
651 Honeydale Court
East Amherst, NY 14051, USA
The other copy with one photo to be sent to:
Directorate of International Relations
Üllői u. 26.
P: +36 (1) 317-9079
F: +36 (1) 459-1559
For further information contact either HMAA Hungary Chapter Exchange Program Officer or Semmelweis University.
The personal interview will take place on the week starting 6th February, 2017. The exact date will be communicated to the applicants by e-mail.
All students must submit a written EXIT INTERVIEW to the Department of International Relations of Semmelweis University and to the HMAA Hungary Chapter after the end of the rotation. All students must attend the exit interview in person in the Balatonfüred congress of the HMAA Hungary Chapter in August.
- Campus Mundi
- Pallas Athéné Domus Innovationis Alapítvány (PADI): 1,200 USD support (per person for 3 months) for all the Hungarian students who participate in the Buffalo Exchange program (HMAA Hungary Chapter will transfer the money, no need for additional application): Press release
- HAESF – Hungarian American Enterprise Scholarship Fund