The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship was established by the Hungarian Government for those who live in a Hungarian diaspora outside of Europe and wish to study at a Hungarian higher education institution to develop their personal, professional and cultural relations to Hungary. The programme aims to support the professional advancement of the scholarship holders with high-quality Hungarian higher education while improving their Hungarian language skills and strengthening their Hungarian identity.
The core mission of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship is to strengthen the ties between Hungarian diaspora communities and Hungary by giving access for young people living in Hungarian diasporas to study programmes in Hungary. Its main goal is to support those who wish to rediscover and reconnect to their Hungarian heritage and want to become professionals on a field that can contribute to the prosperity of their diaspora community as well.
The operation of the Scholarship Programme is controlled by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade and is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Mission of the Programme
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship is a higher education scholarship programme which enables those with Hungarian roots living in the diaspora to participate in Hungarian higher education. After graduation, scholarship holders return to their home country with competitive skills and knowledge that enables them to support their community, preserve Hungarian values and reinforce the relations between the diaspora and Hungary.
The geographical scope of the programme is: every country in the world, except for the countries of the European Union, the Republic of Serbia and the Zakarpatska Oblast part of Ukraine.
Applications can be submitted to a number of Hungarian and foreign language study programmes launched within the framework of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship. Currently, 28 Hungarian higher-education institutions offer academic programmes for scholarship holders. Students can apply for study programmes at bachelor, master, one-tier master, doctoral level and for non-degree programmes (preparatory and specialisation courses) as well.
Language of the Programme
Currently 1,300 full degree and non-degree programmes are conducted mostly in English and Hungarian.
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- ) Applicant has only a Hungarian citizenship
- ) Applicant was born after 31 August 2003 (= applicants under 18 years old as of 31 August 2021 except applicants applying for Dance study programmes)
- ) Applicant has a permanent address in Hungary (except for those who are self-financed students already studying in Hungary)
- ) Applicants applying for a doctoral programme have submitted an application for another study level, as well, in the same application round of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship. In this case, the application for the lower study level will not be considered
- ) Applicant does not fulfil the entry requirements determined by the Host Institution
For more details about non-eligibility, please check the Call for Applications here.
Rights and Obligations, Scholarship Agreement
All Scholarship Holders are bound by the Operational Regulations of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship.
We advise that you check back regularly for any updates in the Operational Regulations, as the changes might affect your scholarship holder status.
For detailed information, please visit the official website of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship: https://diasporascholarship.hu/
- Apply for the Scholarship
- Self-financed applicants
- Rights and Obligations, Scholarship Agreement