Dear Dentistry Students,
We are pleased to inform you that, according to the decision of the Dean of Faculty of Dentistry at Semmelweis University, the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes invites applications for the post of Demonstrator / Teaching Assistant (TA) scholarships at our Department, for the Academic year 2022/23 (10 months from September 2022, max. 20 hours / month). We can offer Demonstrator / TA scholarships for the languages for dental medical purposes that are taught at our Department (English, French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish) and for Medical andDental medical Terminology. In addition, our Institute will employ demonstrators who will be holding Language Club classes (every language is welcome), and we are also waiting for applicants for these positions.
Tasks of the demonstrator/TA at the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes:
(a) assisting language instructors in preparing for the language courses for medical purposes (e.g. collecting and systematising authentic language materials, editing online thematic glossaries);
(b) assisting language instructors during classes, primarily in the authentic simulation of situations, where languages for medical purposes are to be used;
(c) organizing a Language Club with the help of the Students’ Association, preparing teaching materials under the supervision of our instructors, holding Language Clubs regularly (only for applicants to the Language Club);
(d) participating in the preparation of midterms, written and oral examinations and the supervision of written examinations;
The ideal demonstrator/TA candidate for the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes is a student in the 2nd year who
- has a general study average of at least 3.51 in the previous two semesters;
- is a native speaker or has at least a C1 level (Effective Operational Proficiency) language examination in one of the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish. Proficiency in Hungarian language is an advantage – for Language Club any other language can be thought, but the applicant must be a native speaker;
- is familiar with the language for dental medical purposes.
- demonstrates exemplary behaviour and is involved in the community life of his / her environment.
- in Terminology grade 5 or 4
Deadline for the application is 1 July 2022. Applications can be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
Documents required for a valid application:
– filled and signed demonstrator application form (can be downloaded from the university website)
– a cover letter (ca. half page) in which the applicant briefly presents his / her experience of languages for medical purposes (eg clinical practice, voluntary work, part-time training abroad, etc.) and why s/he would be the ideal demonstrator / teaching assistant at our Institute.
The most prospective candidates are going to be invited to a personal interview, which is to be held at the beginning of July 2022 (the candidates will be notified via e-mail). The assessment of suitability is carried out by the language instructors of our Department, candidates will be notified by the middle of July at the latest. The final decision will be made by the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry in early September, after consultation with the Students’ Association.
If you are interested in assisting the medical language courses of our institute, we are looking forward to your application! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our course coordinator, Ákos Zimonyi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Semmelweis University, Department of Languages for Specific Purposes