Dear Dental Student,
We are pleased to inform you that the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry at Semmelweis University has approved the call for Teaching Assistant applications for the Academic Year 2023/24 (from September for 10 months, with 20 hours per month) at the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes.
If you are interested in the world of languages, this is your opportunity to apply as a Teaching Assistant. You can apply for the following positions:
- Teaching Assistant in English, German, French, Italian, Russian, or Spanish for dentistry language courses within the Hungarian program.
- Teaching Assistant in Hungarian for dentistry language courses within the English and German programs.
- Teaching Assistant in dental terminology courses.
In addition, our institute is also looking for language-proficient students who would conduct Language Clubs starting from the academic year 2023/24 (in any language). If you would like to join our team, we welcome your application for this position as well.
Teaching Assitants at the Department of Language for Specific Purposes undertake various exciting tasks, including:
- Assisting language instructors in preparing language sessions and research activities.
- Collecting and organizing authentic language materials.
- Compiling thematic glossaries.
- Digitizing and processing dental-medical documentation.
- Participating in the collection of terminological databases.
- Assisting in the preparation and supervision of papers, written and oral exams.
- Acting as simulated patients, assisting language instructors in providing authentic simulations of dental-medical situations and practicing patient-centered diagnosis communication for Hungarian and foreign students (in foreign languages for dentistry courses and Hungarian for dentistry language courses).
Additional opportunities include:
- Organizing Language Clubs in collaboration with the Student Union (HÖK), including developing teaching materials under the supervision of our instructors and conducting regular Language Club sessions (for those who apply for Language Club positions).
Expectations from Teaching Assistants at the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes:
- You should be at least a second-year (in exceptional cases, first-year) student.
- In the previous two semesters, you should have achieved a good academic average (GPA of 3.51 or above).
- For Hungarian and foreign language teaching/Language Clubs, you should be a native speaker or have advanced proficiency in the respective language. Participation and excellent grades in language-specific courses (Language for Dentistry courses I-IV, Profex language exam preparation course I-II) are advantageous.
- For terminology, you should have obtained an average grade of 4.5 in Latin I and Latin II (before 2019) / Medical and Specialized Terminology (since 2019). Having achieved a score above 80% in Latin/Terminology study competitions is advantageous.
- For foreign languages, you should have a high level of proficiency in the respective language. For terminology, you should be knowledgeable in anatomical and clinical terminology.
- Your behavior should be exemplary, and you should enjoy an active and vibrant community life.
The application deadline is 1 July 2023. Please submit your applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required documents for a valid application:
- Completed and signed Teaching Assistant application form (available for download from the Faculty of Dentistry website).
- A motivation letter of half to a maximum of one page.
The topic of the motivation letter should revolve around your experience with dental-medical language (e.g., professional practice, voluntary work, international training, Profex language exam, Latin/Terminology competition placements, etc.), as well as the reasons for applying to be a Teaching Assistant.
Personal interviews with the Teaching Assistant candidates will be conducted in early July. We will coordinate the exact timing via email. The suitability assessment will be carried out by the instructors at the Department of Languages for Specific Purposes, and the decision will be communicated to the applicants no later than mid-July.
The final decision regarding the position rests with the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine. The results of the application process will be announced no later than early September.
If you are interested in getting involved in our Department’s work, we look forward to welcoming you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Teaching Assistant Coordinator,
Phone no. 0036206701830.
Department of Languages for Specific Purposes