(Dr. Gábor Barna, dr. Márk Ágnes Kovácsné )
The research field of the group and main results:
The main aims of our research group is to develop the differential diagnostic of B-cell lymphomas, to study the interaction of the microenvironment and tumor cells by flow cytometry, by molecular and in vitro cell culture methods.
In our diagnostic laboratory we do the immunophenotyping of lymphomas and leukemia by flow cytometry on peripheral blood and bone marrow aspirates samples. We link our research to our diagnostic work.
The number of patients with lymphoma is growing year by year. The B-cell low grade Non-Hodgkin lymphomas are the most frequent lymphomas. Although there are several new therapies, lymphomas remain fatal and cure only for a small fraction of patients is an option. The interaction between lymphoma cells and the bone marrow or lymph nodes microenvironment promotes drug resistance and cancer cells survival.
In our research we study the immunphenotype of lymphoma cells. We investigate the survival, the proliferation and cytokine production of tumor cells – isolated from rutine samples – in coculture with bone marrow stromal cells. We compare the in vitro results results with the immunphenotype, various prognostic factors (detected by FISH) and mutations. With these data we try to clear up the role of the microenvironment and the surface molecules of the tumor cells in the development and progression of lymphomas.
- Márk Á, Varga G, Timár B, Kriston C, Szabó O, Deák L, Matolcsy A, Barna G. The effect of microenvironmental factors on the development of myeloma cells. Hematol Oncol. 2016 Oct 21. doi: 10.1002/hon.2354.
- Kriston C, Bödör C, Szenthe K, Bánáti F, Bánkuti B, Csernus B, Reiniger L, Csomor J, Matolcsy A, Barna G. Low CD23 expression correlates with high CD38 expression and the presence of trisomy 12 in CLL. Hematol Oncol. 2015 Jun 29. doi: 10.1002/hon.2244.
- Barna G, Mihalik R, Timár B, Tömböl J, Csende Z, Sebestyén A, Bödör C, Csernus B, Reiniger L, Peták I, Matolcsy A. ROR1 expression is not a unique marker of CLL. Hematol Oncol. 2011 Mar;29(1):17-21. doi: 10.1002/hon.948.
- Dunai ZA, Imre G, Barna G, Korcsmaros T, Petak I, Bauer PI, Mihalik R. Staurosporine induces necroptotic cell death under caspase-compromised conditions in U937 cells. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e41945. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0041945.
- Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activity dependent phospho-protein expression in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Nemes K, Sebestyén A, Márk A, Hajdu M, Kenessey I, Sticz T, Nagy E, Barna G, Váradi Z, Kovács G, Kopper L, Csóka M. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e59335. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0059335.
Members of the research group:
Dr. Gábor Barna, senior research fellow
Dr. Ágnes Márk, research fellow
Kriston Csilla, predoctor, assistant research fellow
Takács Ferenc, TDK student
Hernádfői Márk, TDK student