The Department of Organic Chemistry was founded in 1957 and its first head was Prof. Ottó Clauder. The infrastructure of the Department (the students’ and tutors’ laboratories, the equipment for preparative work and the library) was gradually built up and finally a spectroscopic unit was established. In 1977, Prof. László Szabó took over as head of the Department and after it, in 1997 Dr. Ákos Kocsis was appointed as acting director. After that from 1997 Prof. Péter Mátyus was the head of the Department. Since 2016 to June 2017 Dr. Gábor Krajsovszky was the acting director. The present head of the Department is Dr. István Mándity.