SEMMELWEIS UNIVERSITY’S ETHICS GUIDELINES DURING THE EPIDEMIC
The present Ethics Guidelines aims to guide Semmelweis University’s students and colleagues during the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to the current mandatory ordinances of the Hungarian Government and the city of Budapest as well as the Rector’s and Chancellor’s instructions in effect at Semmelweis University. The following behaviours contribute to curb the pandemic and to ensure continuous patient care, education, research, and other work at Semmelweis University.
It is our common task and responsibility to slow down the spread of the epidemic, thus protecting our own health as well as that of all our compatriots, and at the same time ensuring the operation of the university. As Semmelweis citizens, we must set an example by our behaviour in handling the epidemic, to which you can contribute by observing the following points:
- Avoid larger events, venues involving close contact, especially clubs and indoor restaurants. Pay special attention to keeping the prescribed safety distance in public spaces as well.
- In addition to the statutory obligation, please wear a mask in all closed and open places outside the university where the number of people present and the nature of the place require it.
- Depending on the type, masks should be changed or washed daily.
- During personal meetings, avoid greeting forms involving direct contact and follow the rules of polite distance-keeping.
- Protect your older relatives: please wear a mask and keep a distance of at least 2 metres when meeting them.
- In addition to general hygiene standards, please pay special attention to regular, hourly hand disinfection and the correct Semmelweis’ hand washing technique. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are provided on an ongoing basis in all university buildings.
- Students are advised to help control the epidemic by volunteering in your free time at Semmelweis University clinics, vocational training and public education institutions, and also by participating in coronavirus PCR screening at screening points organized by the Students’ Union, thus gaining professional practice as well.
Adherence to the above points will help to ensure that education at Semmelweis University continues to be uninterrupted at the highest possible level, adapted to the epidemiological situation.
|Prof. Dr. Béla Merkely
|Irén Baumgartnerné Holló
President of the Students’ Union
I join the initiative and on a voluntary basis undertake to adhere to Semmelweis University’s Ethics Guidelines in order to continuously sustain the university’s educational, research, and patient care activities.