Semmelweis University School of Ph.D. Studies offers two conventional programs for obtaining a Ph.D. degree:
- Regular Program
- recommended for students with no or moderate scientific experience
- duration: 5-8 semesters (4 semesters for training and research, 1-4 semesters for research and preparing the diploma work)
- Advanced (“Untrained”) Program
- recommended for students with significant scientific experience and achievements
- duration: 1-4 semesters for research and preparing the diploma work
Application to the Untrained program involves an entrance interview and the complex exam.
Admission Requirements and Process for training program.
- Doctoral applicants must be university graduates (MSc or MA degree) or students registered for their final semester of university studies.
- Applicants for the English-Language program must have a good command of English, which is assessed at the entrance interviews
- When applying to the program, applicants are required to state the specific training program and research topic they wish to pursue within one of the University’s scientific doctoral schools.
- All the doctoral programs and the open topics led by active supervisors of the School of PhD Studies are available: https://semmelweis.hu/phd/en/doktori-iskolak-en/doktori-iskolak-temai-en/
- The admission procedure is based on evaluating the candidate’s general and topic-related knowledge as well as personal ability, academic competence and previous scientific activity and contribution.
Forms of Financing
- State Grant (available only for EU citizens) s
- fellowship of 140.000 HUF/month during training and 180.000 HUF/month thereafter
- but not entitled to TAJ card in Hungary
- Registration fee for the application: 9.000 HUF
- Tuition fee for international self-financed students/untrained candidates (with supervisor from Semmelweis University ) who enroll from the 2020/2021 academic year: 8.000 EUR/semester
- Discounted tuition fee for Semmelweis University international graduates: 4.000 EUR/semester
- Untrained candidates with consultans from Semmmelweis University: 1600 EUR/semester
15 December 2020 – 7 January 2021
The interviews are organized in late January by the scientific doctoral schools.
Online interviews are expected.
Information via email about the result of the entrance exam is expected till 31st January.
Documents of application for the Regular (trained ) program
Documents of application for the Advanced (untrained) program
- Application for entry to untrained program (download)
- Record of the PhD entrance exam for untrained program (download)
Application for doctoral programs at Semmelweis University in January 2020 is exclusively online, therefore printed and signed application package is not supposed to be sent to the Doctoral Office by post.
Documents are supposed to be send in by one .zip file entitled by the applicant name.
Email addresses of the doctoral schools:
Basic and translational: