In 2022, the Chemical Biology Work Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (HAS) has established a prize for doctoral students and doctoral candidates conducting research in the frontier of chemistry and biology. The László Zechmeister prize, which honors the eponym’s career, is awarded in recognition of excellence, professionalism and communication skills of young researchers.
Eligibility criteria and further information for the 2023 László Zechmeister Award:1
• The award is open to any doctoral student or doctoral candidate affiliated with a university in Hungary whose research topic fits the theme of the Work Group.
• Applications are evaluated by a scientific board in two steps. In the first round, applicants are invited to submit an abstract in English of no more than one A4 pages, describing their research topic and the results thereof. Applications must be submitted by e-mail only and should be sent to email@example.com by October 31, 2023, 5 p.m.
• Evaluation of the abstracts are based primarily on the results of the research and the communication skills of the applicant, as outlined in the summary. The 15 best proposals will be shortlisted for the second round. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the evaluation by 6 November 2023.2
• Shortlisted candidates will present their results in a 10-minute presentation in English and answer questions raised by a panel of experts (max. 5 minutes). The jury will assess the presentations on the basis of their scientific content (novelty and significance of the results), communication skills (presentation design, graphics, clarity) and professional preparedness (debating skills).
• Shortlisted applicants will present their work at the Zechmeister Lecture Day starting on November 17, 2023 at 10 a.m. in the headquarters of the HAS Regional Committee, Pécs (7624 Pécs, Jurisics M. u. 44). This year, the event is also part of the HAS Hungarian Science Fest series.
• Prizes: The winner of the competition will receive 250.000 HUF, while the second and the third runner up is awarded 175.000 HUF and 100.000 HUF, respectively.3
Further criteria and information about the award:
1 The organizer reserves the right to make changes to the event program
2 Shortlisted applicants who do not wish to participate in the second round will be replaced by the next highest ranked applicant
3 Gross amounts