- Founded in 1769 as the Medical Faculty of the University of Nagyszombat.
- The oldest medical school in Hungary.
- Named in honour of Ignác Semmelweis, the revolutionary 19th century obstetrician also known as “the saviour of mothers”.
- Programmes are offered in four languages: Hungarian, English, German and Italian.
- Motto: Servamus vitam atque servimus (“Protecting and serving life”)
- The University’s name is abbreviated as: SE
Faculty and Staff
|Total staff||ca. 10 500|
|Doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences||91|
|Members of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences||11|
Students (Academic year 2019/2020)
|Total students:||10 945|
|International students:||3 450|
|Faculty||Total students||International Students||Ratio of international students|
|Medicine||4 561||2 399||52.6%|
|Health Sciences||3 420||430||12.6%|
|Health and Public Services||565||15||2.65%|
|András Pető Faculty||353||36||10.2%|
|School of Ph.D. Studies||586||49||8.4%|
|Total||11 170||3 557||31.8%|
| South Korea||214|