Department of Ophthalmology
H-1085 Budapest, Mária u. 39.
Main desk tel.: +36-1-459-1500, ext. 54500
Secretary tel: +36-1-303-9435, ext. 54611 Tel:+36-1-267-4951, ext. 54534
Prof. Dr. Zoltán Zsolt Nagy, M.D., med habil, D.Sc.
The Department of Ophthalmology on Mária Street is the legal successor of the first Hungarian Department of Ophthalmology, which was founded in 1804. It has been operating in its present location since 1908 when two ophthalmology departments were established at Semmelweis University (formerly called Budapest Medical University and later Semmelweis Medical University). In 1972 the Tömő Street building was built, and at the time it was among the five largest eye clinics in Europe. Tömő Street building functioned as 1st Department and Mária Street building as 2nd Department of Ophthalmology until 2005, when they were integrated on the management level. After the full renovation and modernization of the Mária Street building the departments were merged completely and moved in together in 2013.
The Department provides a wide coverage of services for most ophthalmic conditions. Services include:
– General ophthalmology – Cornea and eye surface diseases service (conservative and surgical) – Glaucoma service – Cataract operations – Vitreoretinal service (conservative and surgical retina) – Uveitis service – Ophthalmic oncology, plastic surgery and periorbital surgery service – Pediatric ophthalmology, orthoptics and strabology – Dacriology service – Emergency operations for eye injuries