The Department was established as the Department of Pharmacognosy and Toxicology in 1914, when the compulsory curriculum for pharmacy had been reformed.
The scientific activity of the Department comprises the teaching and research of pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, phytotherapy and pharmaceutical biotechnology.
Pharmacognosy is taught to pharmacy undergraduates in Hungarian and in English. Special courses in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Phytochemistry and Phytotherapy are also held.
The lectures and practicals provide a comprehensive and up-to-date synthesis of the knowledge acquired in drugs of natural origin.
All aspects of pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, phytotherapy and pharmaceutical biotechnology are investigated, through the support of national and international sponsorships.