- Founded in 1769 as the Medical Faculty of the University of Nagyszombat.
- The oldest medical school in Hungary.
- Named in honour of Ignác Semmelweis, the revolutionary 19th century obstetrician also known as “the saviour of mothers”.
- Programmes are offered in four languages: Hungarian, English, German and Italian.
- Motto: Servamus vitam atque servimus (“Protecting and serving life”)
- The University’s name is abbreviated as: SE
Faculty and Staff
|Total staff:||ca. 10 500|
|Academic Staff:||ca. 1700|
|Doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences||91|
|Members of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences:||11|
Students (2017/2018 academic year)
|Total students:||10 945|
|International students:||3 450|
|Faculty||Total students||International Students||Ratio of international students|
|Total||10 945||3 450||31.5%|
|Health and Public Services||550||15||2.7%|
|Health Sciences||3 457||503||14.5%|
|Medicine||4 484||2 283||50.9%|
|School of Ph.D. Studies||459||39||8.4%|
|András Pető Faculty||324||15||4.6%|
| South Korea||155|
Last updated: 9 January, 2019