- Founded in 1769 as the Medical Faculty of the University of Nagyszombat.
- The oldest medical school in Hungary.
- Named in honour of Ignác Semmelweis, the revolutionary 19th century obstetrician also known as “the saviour of mothers”.
- Programmes are offered in four languages: Hungarian, English, German and Italian.
- Motto: Servamus vitam atque servimus (“Protecting and serving life”)
- The University’s name is abbreviated as: SE
Faculty and Staff
|Total staff||ca. 10 500|
|Doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences||91|
|Members of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences||11|
Students (Academic year 2018/2019)
|Total students:||10 945|
|International students:||3 450|
|Faculty||Total students||International Students||Ratio of international students|
|Total||10 292||3 173||30.8%|
|Medicine||4 327||2 161||49.9%|
|Health Sciences||3 164||427||13.5%|
|Health and Public Services||495||13||2.6%|
|András Pető Faculty||317||15||4.7%|
|School of Ph.D. Studies||428||28||6.5%|
| South Korea||155|
Last updated: 9 January, 2019