Entrance examinations are organized by Semmelweis University and held in Budapest (at the premises of Semmelweis University or its cooperating partners), or worldwide at locations provided by officially appointed Semmelweis representatives.
Contents of the Entrance Exams
The exams consist of multiple choice tests in Biology, Chemistry and English (both general and biomedical), followed by an oral examination, which will also focus on the applicant’s knowledge of Biology, Chemistry and English (both general and biomedical). The examination will also be supplemented by a personal interview that aims to examine the applicant’s professional attitude.
Guideline of Topics for the Entrance Exams
for the Faculty of General Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy
The main topics of the exams are as follows:
- Evolution: chemical and biological aspects
- Chemical background in Biology: structure of atoms; chemical bonds; ionic compounds and molecules; solutions; types and energetics of chemical reactions; acid-base reactions; redox reactions; inorganic constituents of living organisms; hydrocarbons; organic compounds containing oxygen or sulphur; organic compounds containing nitrogen; carbohydrates; amino acids and proteins; lipids; vitamins; nucleic acids.
- The cell and its organization (morphology and function): Prokaryotes (bacteria) and Eukaryotes (focus on cilia and flagella, cell wall, cell membrane, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi, lysosome, mitochondrion, ribosome, centriole, nucleus, nucleolus).
- From cells to tissues of different structure and function.
- Cell division: mitosis and meiosis.
- Anabolic and catabolic pathways regarding nucleic acids, proteins, carbohydrates, lipids (bioenergetics included).
- The physiology of living organisms: respiration, ingestion and digestion, excretion, circulation, endocrine and neural regulation, immune-biology, locomotion.
- Reproduction and development of animals.
- Genetics: Mendelian inheritance, human genetics.
Note: Knowledge of English terminology is required in all of these areas!
Entrance Examinations will be evaluated by the University Admission Committee Board based on the knowledge and performance of the applicant at the Entrance Examination and other strategic aims of the University including geographical and cultural diversity and gender balance.
Applicants have to register (sign up) for the entrance examinations in SEMAPHOR after having submitted a valid application (and payed the Admission Procedure Fee). Registrations can only be withdrawn before the deadline for registration to the given examination. The absence of a registered applicant at the entrance examination is not considered as the withdrawal of registration but as an examination attended without valuable result.
Dates of entrance examinations in 2019
* Examination dates are subject to change.
** Deadlines in the table refer to registrations for individual examinations. Please keep in mind that the deadline of submitting your online application via SEMAPHOR is the irrespectively of the choice of entrance examination.
*** You may find the contact details of the hosts under ‘Our representatives‘ menu.
**** Please contact the Head of the English Secretariat (Ms. Olga Ványi) at email@example.com before deadline.