Director Professor János Rigó, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc.
Background This Department, founded in 1812, is the oldest obstetric institute in Hungary. Ignác Semmelweis himself was director of the Department from 1855 until his death in 1865. Over the past ten years, the Department has been entirely renewed and modernised.
There are special foci, such as the care of pathologic pregnancies, fetal medicine, clinical and molecular genetics, gynaecological oncology, endometriosis, urogynaecology, pathology (including embryo and fetal pathology) and assisted reproduction.
The Department is the national coordination institute for obstetrics and gynaecology.
Education Obstetrics and gynaecology are taught to medical students in Hungarian, English and German.
The training of midwives, nurses and other health care professionals at secondary and tertiary levels is also carried out by the staff of the Department
Health Care The Department has 200 beds, 40 of which are used by the neonatal intensive care unit. More than 10, 000 inpatients and more than 100, 000 outpatients are treated per year. The clinical and preventive activities of the Department embrace all branches of gynaecology and obstetrics. Experienced staff members head special outpatient units.
Research Continuing its great traditions, the Department is involved in extensive research to promote the theory and practice of gynaecology and obstetrics. Results achieved so far have been recognised both in Hungary and abroad. During the last decade, the research profile of the Department was expanded by the introduction of fetal medicine, molecular biology and assisted reproduction. The Department has sponsored these developments from its own resources and it has become a modern, internationally acknowledged institute.
Last updated: October 27, 2012