Address H- 1088 Budapest, Vas u. 17.
Mailing address: H-1085 Budapest, Üllői út 26.
Tel.: (+36-1) 486-5855
Fax: (+36-1) 486-5858
Website: Faculty of Health Sciences
Head of the Department Senior Lecturer Dr. Illés Kovács
Background The education of optometry in Hungary started in 1992 at the College of Health Care (now the Faculty of Health Sciences of Semmelweis University Semmelweis University Faculty of Health Sciences). Prior to this, the education of optometry belonged to the tasks of the Department of Clinical Studies. The Department is responsible for training optometrists. This includes developing the curriculum of the optometry training, organising clinical and optical trainings for students, and keeping connection with educators and institutions that participate in the practical training.
Education The optometry training in Hungary runs as a part-time programme. The undergraduate training programme is eight semesters long and comprises 240 ECTS credits. The programme contains a total of 1062 contact hours, and a total of 6138 individual hours, 40 percent of which is devoted to theoretical training and 60 percent to practice.
Graduate training programmes are also available after completion of the basic training.
Research The Department conducts scientific work in two ways: 1. In partnership with the Faculty of Medicine’s Department of Ophthalmology in the following fields:
- Femtolaser in the surgery of cataracts;
- Development of a new intraocular lens in the surgery of cataracts.
2. The Department’s individual scientific work is carried out in the following fields:
- Correction of presbyopia with contact lens;
- Contact lens related dry eye;
- Contact lens wearing in childhood;
- Computer Vision Syndrome and it’ connection with ametropies;
- Screening of visual acuity of school-aged children.
Last updated: April 7, 2017