Subject title: Medical biochemistry, molecular and cell biology II. (Medicine) Biochemistry, molecular and cell biology II. (Dentistry)
Code: AOOBIBKM_2A (Medicine) FOKOOBI159_2A (Dentistry)
Credit: 6 (Medicine) 5 (Dentistry)
Head of Deparment of Medical Biochemistry: Prof. Tretter, László
Description of the subject: The objective of the course is to introduce complex molecular interpretation of selected physiological processes in the human organism.
Main topics of the lectures: The subject addresses the metabolic processes in the human organism at molecular level with special emphasis on their medical aspects. The main topic is the metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids and nucleotides and its regulation under normal and pathological conditions. Lectures cover the following topics:
- Metabolism of compounds providing energy for the cell function.
- Storage and mobilization of carbohydrates and lipids.
- Gluconeogenesis and biosynthesis of sugar derivatives.
- Biosynthesis of fatty acids, triacylglycerols, cholesterol, bile acids. Biochemistry of the steroidal hormones and the essentioal fatty acids.
- Turn-over of proteins in the human organism.
- Degradation of amino acids and metabolic fate of their carbon atoms.
- Formation and elimination of ammonia. – Biosynthesis of non-essential amino acids.
- Biosynthesis and degradation of nucleotides and heme.
- Integration of metabolic pathways at the level of the whole body (specific metabolic properties of separate organs, metabolic communication between organs).
Students perform laboratory experiments that help them to acquire skills in basic biochemistry techniques. Clinical biochemistry procedures and basic molecular biology techniques are practiced by the students in laboratory experiments. Problem-oriented discussions in seminars serves to introduce edge-cutting research topics of medicine (gene therapy, molecular basis of diseases with high public health impact).
- Student Affairs Secretary: Mr. Zsolt Ozsváth EOK Building, 1st Floor, Passage ‘C’; +36-1-459 1500#60061
- Teaching secretary. Dr. István Léránt +36-1-459 1500#60034 +36-20-663 2267